Real Belgian Waffles...Finally!

22 July 2008 7 comments


All these years of making Belgian waffles from scratch went down the drain. I thought that what I was making was a recipe for Belgian waffles. Boy, was I wrong! As you may know, we spent a month touring in Europe. One of the countries we visited was Belgium and what else do you have to try when you're in Belgium? Belgian waffles of course! We did not go to a restaurant for this or waited for breakfast to try it, why? Belgian waffles are eaten as a snack in Belgium and are available everywhere. Yes, even in a small snack stand in the beautiful Antwerp Hauptbanhof (train station).



I still remember my first bite of this Belgian waffle. It is crispy and the chocolate sauce and fresh whipped cream just melded with the warm waffle. Gosh, was I in heaven! From that moment on, I vowed that I will find the 'authentic Belgian waffle' recipe. My Dutch friends told me that this waffle's batter is unlike the ones we make here in the US. It is not a liquid batter but a soft dough which gives the Belgian waffle it's irregular shape as you can see in the photo. The Belgian waffle is also sweet, you can eat it by itself unlike the US counterpart where one needs Maple syrup on it.

The photo on the left is the beautiful train station of Antwerp.
So now, I am on a quest to find the AUTHENTIC BELGIAN WAFFLE recipe. I found a couple on the internet and will try the first one tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be just as good or at least close enough to the real Mc Coy.


P.S. Do you also know that the French Fries was invented in Belgium? Oui!

This recipe is for the crispy and light Belgian waffle. This is not for the waffle pictured above. I'm still on a quest for the perfect recipe.

Brussels Waffle

10 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon salad oil
1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 ounce fresh yeast or
1½ envelopes granulated yeast
4 cups sifted flour
4 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar

Heat ½ cup of the water to lukewarm. Dissolve the yeast in the water. Put the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the egg yolks, the sugar, and the yeast. Beat in the remaining water, the milk, the butter, salt, salad oil, and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth. Beat the egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks. Fold them into the batter. Let the batter stand for 1 hour, stirring it 4 times. Bake the waffles in a waffle iron as usual. Serve with whipped cream, fruit, jam or sugar.

7 comments: to “ Real Belgian Waffles...Finally! so far...

  • Mira July 22, 2008
     

    I'll be first in line to try it, pls make me your guinea pig ;-). So fries in Belgium should be Belgian Fries! French fries is my all time 'gourmet' dish according to Rob.
    Random Thoughts
    Mira's Web Journal
    A Moment to Exhale
    My Barefoot Journey
    My Kitchen Table

  • Joro Livelihood July 22, 2008
     

    I've been to Antwerp and Brussels. Antwerp is the diamond capital of the world.

    If I know that you are on your Europe tour, sana pumunta ka dito. You are most welcome since you are a friend of Vicky also. Makatipid ka pa kung sa bahay ka titira.

    Pls vote for me. Go to www.jbsolis.blogspot.com and find the poll widget Top Pinoy Expats 2008 and vote Ronel Livelihood; Joro, the new beginng and Absolutely Joro. Thanks.

    Pls visit my blogs at:
    Ronel Livelihood
    Joro, The New Beginning
    Absolutely Joro
    The World Of Joro
    The Tale Of A Bukidnon Lad

  • Keith July 22, 2008
     

    Kusinera in da house! Bienvenida, lady.

    I need to figure out how much food I wanna buy. I decided IU will actualy start cooking again, after drooling over the food in this blog...

    Babette,Thank you for joining my blog again. All seem s to be on hold now. I will report more later. Godspeed.

  • ness July 23, 2008
     

    wow. scrumptious. yum!

  • Babette July 23, 2008
     

    Hi Mira, actually the reason why it's called French fries is because it is fried 'the French way'. Is it becoming one of Mikey's fave gourmet dish? LOL

    You've been all over Rolly, I've seen your photos nga. You're lucky to be in Europe, madaling puntahan ang different countries. Next time sa UK and France naman ang punta namin, mag-ipon ulit ng panggastos. :)

    Good to hear that Keith, I hope all works out for you.

    Doesn't it look delicious Ness? It is one of those times that will remain engrained in me forever. (It's obvious I like food! LOL)

  • AiDiSan July 28, 2008
     

    looks really yummy!

    i learned from a game show that waffle originated in Belgium, that's one trivia question ask to the players.

  • Janice November 28, 2009
     

    I went to Brussels and ate these everyday! I thought the sugar was crunchy as if they used cubed sugar that had been crushed slightly. Maybe not, it's been a few years.