Don't Steam It, Lobster Cantonese It!

05 August 2008 7 comments

One advantage of living in New England is the seafood. Since we are on the coast, the price of seafood here is comparatively cheaper than let's say Nebraska. Every summer, dh and I always look forward to having lobster. Lobster can be bought all year round of course, but it is expensive. During the summer months, you can get lobster for $5.99/pound if it is on sale. The most popular way to cook lobster is to steam it (don't boil it!) and another popular restaurant dish is stuffed lobster. I use the steam method if I feel lazy and don't want to spend too much time prepping. But if I'm in the mood to cook (just like the other day), I cook lobster the Cantonese way.

This recipe is from Eileen Lo's Chinese Kitchen. The original recipe calls for fresh live lobsters to be chopped up. I tried this the first time but found it disconcerting. First, I felt guilty cutting up something that is still 'alive' and second, it grossed me out. So the next time that I cooked this dish, I steamed the lobsters for about 4 minutes so it's partially-cooked. You can also use shrimps in lieu of lobsters. Read more for the recipe.


I omitted the part which calls for ground pork and eggs. It's just personal
preference, I think this dish is best with just the lobster and the sauce. If you like sauce on your rice, then double the marinade. Yummy!


LOBSTER CANTONESE
by Eileen Lo
The Chinese Kitchen

Marinade:

1 3/4 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
3/4 tsp salt (I omit this since it's already salty for me)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
pinch ground pepper
2 tsp sesame oil
Lobsters, chopped into pieces
1/4 lb lean ground pork
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 cup peanut oil
2 tsp minced garlic
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced

2 tbsp Chinese white rice wine
2 scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
1. In a large bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Place the lobster in the marinade and allow to rest 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the lobster from the marinade and reserve both separately. As the lobster marinates, mix the ground pork with the salt and sugar thoroughly; reserve.

2. Heat oil over high heat and add 1 tsp of minced garlic. When it browns, add pork mixture. Stir to separate and cook for 3 min. When the pork changes color, add the eggs and mix into a soft scramble. Turn off heat, remove all the ingredients and reserve.

3. Using a clean pan, heat oil and add minced ginger. Add the remaining garlic and stir until brown. Add lobster pieces. Spread in a thin layer. Turn the lobster pieces. Add the wine at the edge of the pan and mix thoroughly. When the lobster meat reddens, add the pork-egg mixture and mix all ingredients thoroughly. Add the reserved marinade and stir. Add the scallions and mix well. Turn off heat, transfer to a heated platter, garnish with cucumber and serve with steamed rice.

SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL HERE

7 comments: to “ Don't Steam It, Lobster Cantonese It! so far...

  • PatriCa BB August 07, 2008
     

    I love Lobster.

    Remembered tasting the best Lobster was in Boston.

    Light but tasty! Yummy, I will source for lobster, and to try to cook it with your recommendation here. Thanks for sharing it!

  • Anonymous August 07, 2008
     

    alam mo dipa ako nakakain ng Lobster kasi di pa rin ako sumobok wahehehe..Pero kung crabs ay pwede araw2x.

  • foongpc August 09, 2008
     

    Lobster and crab - my two favourite seafood! Steam lobster without pork and eggs are the best - can taste the real taste of the lobsters. So yummy I want to eat! : )

  • Anonymous August 09, 2008
     

    Oh my Lobster! LOL. I love Lobster...yum yum :)

    Easy Recipe Collections

  • Unknown August 10, 2008
     

    I love stopping by your blog. You have the best recipes!

  • Babette August 10, 2008
     

    Hi Patricia, I live near Boston. :) I don't like winters but having lobster in the summer kinda makes up for it. LOL

    Hello Joy, parang crabs din ang lasa ng lobster. Mas malaman nga lang dahil yung tail puro laman.

    Hi Foongpc, you're spot on. Lobster by itself is enough.

    Hello Nita, thanks for leaving a comment.

    Hello Mekhismom, thanks for visiting and the compliment. :)

  • Keith August 12, 2008
     

    Ooohhhh... I would never cut it upo still live. I thiunk you are right to kill it first.

    Babette, your website is a gustatory delight