What's In My Palayok? Kare-kare

17 April 2008 10 comments

Kare-kare

How I wish I have a palayok in my kitchen. No, I'm not going to use it for cooking since my range is electric. :( I am going to use it for presentation. (Note to self: bring back a palayok from my trip to the Philippines next year). How dramatic can you get if you serve Kare-kare in a palayok? That's how they used to do it in Kamayan and Barrio Fiesta restaurants.

I have some Bokchoy and Chinese green beans in the vegetable crisper and thought of making Kare-kare. I have not cooked it in more than a year so what better time to do it than now. Lucky for me, Ox tails are readily available in our local supermarket. I guess I have to thank the big population of Portugese in the area. :) Make sure you also have Bagoong before you even think of cooking Kare-kare. It is just not complete without it, it is like eating Prime Rib without the Au Jus.

There are two ways to cook Kare-kare: the long way and the easy way. The easy way is using Mama Sita's Kare-kare mix. It's okay, just tweak it to your taste. I for one like the taste of the ground toasted rice. This recipe has been tweaked a little. I got it from the cookbook by Laquian and Sobrevinas.

KARE-KARE ( Meat and Vegetable Stew in Peanut Sauce)

2 1/2 lbs. Oxtail
1 1/2 tsp salt or fish sauce
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup atchuete water (1 tbsp atchuete seeds and 1/2 cup water)
2 cups broth (from the oxtail)
3 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp ground toasted rice
1/2 lb. Chinese green beans
1/2 lb. Bokchoy
1 med. eggplant, cut into pieces

- Place oxtails in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
- Soak atchuete seeds in water for 30 min. Stir and press on the seeds to extract color. Strain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute garlic and onions. Add cooked oxtail and 2 cups broth. Add salt and atchuete water. Simmer for 15 min.
- Take a cup of the broth and stir in peanut butter and toasted rice powder. Add to the pot and bring back to boil and simmer for another 5 min.
- Add green beans and eggplant. Cook another 5 minutes. Add the bokchoy and cook for another 5 min.
- Season with salt or if you prefer, bagoong.


SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL HERE

10 comments: to “ What's In My Palayok? Kare-kare so far...

  • Pinay April 19, 2008
     

    Hello Barb,this is one of the Filipino dishes I haven't tried yet to cook coz I thought it's very complicated and very long to do.Though I love eating kare kare :)Your Kare kare seems so yummy!

  • Babette April 19, 2008
     

    Amor, madali lang, gumamit ka ng Kare-kare mix. Meron siguro nyan sa Asian stores sa inyo.

  • escape April 20, 2008
     

    this post makes me really really hungry even if i had a heavy dinner.

  • Amy April 20, 2008
     

    mareng barb, pwede i-take home ko nalang kaya 'to. hehehe* don't know how to make one:(

  • Babette April 21, 2008
     

    Dong, thanks for the visit and comment. :)

    Mareng Ams, madali lang lutuin ito pag meron kang Kare-kare mix. :) Just add broth and peanut butter to the boiled meat and vegetables. Tapos, sabayan mo ng rice and bagoong, sarap!

  • Lily April 21, 2008
     

    Kasarap naman nito nakaka gutom talaga mga luto mo Babette.

    I need to try this one kasi super yummy tingin ko.
    passing by here wishing you a beaituful week.and salamt pala sa laging pag silip sa blog ko ha, very much appreciated talaga.
    Tc always.

  • haze April 22, 2008
     

    My friend makes the best & delicious kare-kare but she's now in Canada ! How I wish I will have the patient to learn how to cook this ! Thanks a lot Babette, I am sure your's has a different touch :D !

  • Mira April 25, 2008
     

    I haven't had Kare-Kare in a long time. I miss this dish all of a sudden, my dad makes this from scratch, he doesn't use any instant mixes. I have Mama Sita's kare-kare mix, I might try this dish sometime ;-)

  • Tanya Regala June 23, 2010
     

    Hi !

    Your kare kare looks really delicious!

    I'm collecting a list of the best kare kare recipes in my blog, and I included your kare kare recipe (just a link though, hope you don't mind). You can see it at
    http://kumain.com/kare-kare-2/

    Keep in touch!

  • Super Model Me July 03, 2011
     

    hi, ilang oras po ang palambot ng oxtail? tnx