Filipino Spaghetti, A Taste from My Childhood

26 March 2008 10 comments

Filipino Spaghetti
Usually a staple in birthday parties in the Philippines, this became one of my favorite eats along with the Purefoods hotdog on a stick with marshmallows and the slice of birthday cake. Filipino spaghetti is distinctively different from the Italian kind because it has hotdogs/frankfurters and it is sweet which usually comes from the added tomato catsup or banana catsup. My kids never took to liking it, probably because they are used to the Italian-style spaghetti sauce that I cook. Hubby prefers the Italian version, I can't blame him though since he is part Italian. :)

Once in a while, when I make Italian spaghetti sauce for my family, I will save some and add hotdogs and UFC catsup for my own Pinoy spaghetti. For true Pinoy spaghetti taste, use grated Kraft cheddar cheese for the topping.


Note: Condensed milk is not used in making the spaghetti sauce.


Filipino Spaghetti Sauce


1 cup chopped yellow onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 cup banana catsup (Jufran, UFC or Mafran brand)
1/8 Tsp pepper
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp parsley
1 pack hotdog or frankfurters, sliced thinly
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp oregano
1 cup grated Kraft cheddar cheese or any mild cheddar cheese

Saute the garlic, onions in oil until wilted, add the ground beef and cook for 10 minutes, drain excess oil. Add tomato sauce and water. Add the oregano and parsley, season with salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for about an hour. Stir the sauce often so it will not stick to the pan. Add the banana catsup and hot dog at the last 10 minutes of cooking. Mix sauce with cooked spaghetti. Sprinkle grated Kraft cheddar cheese before serving.

Shortcut version:
Saute garlic, onions and ground beef, drain excess oil. Add any bottled spaghetti sauce, add about a cup of banana catsup and sugar to taste. Add hotdogs or frankfurters. Cook for 30 minutes while stirring often. Mix the sauce with the cooked spaghetti noodles and top with grated mild cheddar cheese.


SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL HERE

10 comments: to “ Filipino Spaghetti, A Taste from My Childhood so far...

  • Lan March 26, 2008
     

    Hi mareng barb, andrew when were in the philippines he don't mind eating our filipino style spaghetti, but kenny don't like it. He prepared italian style.

  • rolly March 27, 2008
     

    I like your take on this "party" food.

    My preference is Italian, too, but I also like the Filipino version. What makes my taste weird is that I eat the Filipino spaghetti with rice. Gotta have rice in every meal, you know. :-)

  • Mira March 27, 2008
     

    I miss the pinoy spaghetti especially the ones from Jollibee. Dapat lutuan mo ako nito Barb when we get together again, lol. I always cook the Italian pasta with a little kick from red pepper flakes. That's what Rob prefers, he's not crazy about our sweet spaghetti, lol, para daw dessert.

  • haze March 27, 2008
     

    I so love spaghetti (either Pinoy or French style) it's my favorite! Basta pasta hhhmm you can count on me. For the moment, I am on a diet and pasta is a big NO waahhh !

  • Lily March 28, 2008
     

    Hi Babette,
    thanks for sharing this I love our spaghetti style in the Phillipines. its Yummylicious.

    take care and have a great week-end.

  • Lainy March 28, 2008
     

    I used to prepared with tomato sauce and ketchup but after tasting that has a little sweety taste at a party, i was always craving for it. So Im now using nestle' cream with condensed milk instead of ketchup and tomato sauce...SARAP! ;-)

  • Anonymous March 28, 2008
     

    When I was in high school, my filipino friends called this "Spaghetto". Not exactly politically correct, but we loved the stuff!

  • DebbieDana March 31, 2008
     

    just had pinoy style spaghetti for lunch! my husband loves it!!!

  • i♥pinkc00kies July 13, 2008
     

    i love pasta.. but i prefer italian style :D

    but i do crave for pinoy style spag once in a while. love love love jollibee's spaghetti!

  • Anonymous December 21, 2008
     

    Great recipe.

    I added some extra sugar and patis to make it extra flavorful.